What is Progesterone?
There are several hormones that play an important role in the female reproductive system. One of them is progesterone. Progesterone supports menstruation and helps maintain the early stages of a pregnancy.
It is to prepare the endometrium (lining of your uterus) for a fertilized egg to implant and grow. If a pregnancy doesn’t occur, the endometrium sheds during your menstrual period. If conception occurs, progesterone increases to support the pregnancy.
People use progesterone supplements and other non-prescription products for infertility, menopausal symptoms, and many other conditions. There are many benefits from using these supplements such as the following:
- Reducing the risk of breast cancer.
- Supporting fertility and pregnancy.
- Providing contraception.
- Reducing symptoms of perimenopause and menopause.
Progesterone may cause side effects such as:
- Menstrual changes.
- Difficulty breathing.
- Vision changes.
- Tingling in the mouth or throat.
- Digestive upset.
There are certain factors that will put you at more risk of developing side effects. Some of them are:
You should be careful of progesterone if you have any allergies, such as to foods, dyes or preservatives. Read the label or package ingredients very carefully.
Use of progesterone is not indicated in children. Safety and efficacy have not been established.
Elderly patients are more likely to develop breast cancer, dementia or have a stroke from progesterone. They require caution when receiving progesterone.
When to See a Doctor:
The following symptoms can occur after taking progesterone supplements. If you experience any of them, then you must call your doctor immediately:
- Breast lumps.
- Migraine headache.
- Severe dizziness or faintness.
- Slow or difficult speech.
- Weakness or numbness in the arms or legs.
- Lack of coordination and balance.
- Shortness of breath.
- Fast heartbeat.
- Sharp chest pain.
- Coughing up blood.
- Leg swelling or pain.
- Loss of or reduced vision.
- Bulging eyes.
- Double vision.
- Unexpected vaginal bleeding.
- Shaking hands that you cannot control.
- Stomach pain or swelling.
- skin rash.
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing.
- Swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, eyes, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs.
If you experience any of these side effects from progesterone, consider visiting the Chennai Abortion Clinic, where we provide safe abortion services. Our specialists can assist you in managing these side effects. It’s advisable to consult with us before initiating hormonal supplement usage. We offer guidance to help prevent and mitigate any potential side effects on your body.