The abortion pill is mostly a safe and effective way to terminate a pregnancy during the early stages, typically before 9 weeks of gestation.
Before you read through the article and think of self-administering the medicine, let’s strongly recommend you to see a good gynecologist near you if you want your early pregnancy to be terminated. The medicines are available in medical / drug stores near you but in case you have any excessive bleeding or face complications during the termination procedure, your gynecologist will always be a phone call away.
How do abortion pills work?
There are 2 stages when terminating early pregnancy with tablets:
- Terminating the growth of the fetus that is growing in the uterus.
- Dropping the uterus lining, fetus from the uterus (cleaning up the uterus, simply saying).
Medicines used to terminate a pregnancy are ‘Mifepristone’ and ‘Misoprostol’.
Mifepristone is taken initially. Mifepristone stops the fetus from growing by stopping the production of the progesterone hormone. Then Misoprostol is taken. Some doctors advise you to first take Mifepristone and after some time, take Misoprostol while some suggest you take Misoprostol after 48 hours. Misoprostol causes cramps that will lead to shedding of the uterus lining and the fetus growing inside it. The endometrial layer (uterus lining) typically thickens during the initial days of pregnancy. When this is dropped, the bleeding will be heavy and you may also find a lump dropping off. You need to be in a very comfortable place where you can access the washroom very easily to clean and change your pads. Menstrual cups or tampons are a strict no when terminating a pregnancy.
Effectiveness of abortion pill
- Works 94% of the time if the pregnancy is less than 9 weeks.
- If your pregnancy is over 9 weeks but less than 10 weeks, you need to see a gynecologist put you onto pregnancy terminating medicine. In such cases, the effectiveness of the medicines will be only 91%.
- If your pregnancy is over 10 weeks, your doctor may give an extra dose of medicine because in normal cases the success rate is only 87% and when additional medicine is given, it goes up to 98%.
Remember – If you have decided to terminate your pregnancy by yourself, you may do so at your risk within 9 weeks. After that, you MUST see a gynecologist. After a little while in this article, we will see why that is important.
Step by step working of abortion pills
- You first take Mifepristone. This will stop the fetus from growing by stopping the production of the progesterone hormone.
- You may have nausea. Most likely, bleeding should not start at this stage. If it does, get in touch with your doctor immediately.
- You then take Misoprostol immediately or after 48 hours as suggested by your gynecologist.
- Cramping of your lower abdomen and bleeding should start in about 4 hours.
- Expect to see large blood clots and heavy bleeding as the thick uterus lining and the fetus drops off.
- If you don’t have any bleeding even after 24 hours after taking Misoprostol, see a gynecologist or call your gynecologist if you consulted one already.
- If the bleeding starts in time, then it usually lasts for 4 hours. For some women, it may last a little longer. But if the cramping and bleeding last for more than a day, see your doctor immediately. (We can’t stop insisting on how important it is to see a doctor before you start self aborting your pregnancy).
- Once the bleeding stops, you can take brufen 600 (ibuprofen tablets) to deal with pain. Aspirin or Disprin needs to be avoided as they can cause excessive bleeding.
How does it feel during abortion with pills?
In short, it is like a miscarriage with the help of abortion medication. Here are some symptoms you may feel during the process:
- Cramps in the lower abdomen and more pain than regular periods.
- Heavy bleeding than regular periods.
- Nausea and possible vomiting
- Feeling a little feverish.
If you are having any pain or aches in your lower pelvis region, take pain medication. A feverish feeling should subside after a couple of days. Drink lots of fluids and fruit juices to help you with tiredness. Use a heating pad on your belly to help you with pain.
What happens after abortion with pills?
In many cases, the symptoms will go away in two days and you can start having regular sex with your partner after that. Your periods will not be any different, they will just flow as they used to before an abortion. Some may feel happy (if you were guilty of getting pregnant) and some may get emotionally depressed (if you were forced to terminate) depending on your situation. In either case, you will have your regular life back after two days.